Tuesday 11 March 2014

About

Intended as a "one stop Shop" for all things Staveley Miners Welfare, a football club plying its trade in the North East Counties Premier Division, that's five below the football league.

my name is Steven and I love football. I went to my first game in about 1989 when I was roughly 8...

google image - I'll take it down if its a problem
Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester United, at the time I was a United fan mainly because of Clayton Blackmore - don't ask me why maybe I liked his name or something.









Wednesday at the time had a pretty reasonable team (John Sheridan, David Hirst et al) and won, so as 99% of my family were Wednesdayites I moved into the family business as it were.

I've yet to note down all the games I've been too since but it does include a 4 year "not missing one" home and away stint following the owls most of which involve the Championship to League One and back again several times, via the USA, Ibiza and Holland.

I also follow Valencia Club de Futbol, after a trip to Tenerife (they played them but Tenerife were relegated and you can't watch segunda Liga footie in the UK so....) and have been to see Los Ches nine times including the 2008 Copa Del Rey Final.



I come to the non-league scene following years of decline at Hillsborough culminating in relegation (again) and the seemingly bottomless pit of money that professional clubs think you have...

But why Staveley? well I live here and have done all my life, so have a good proportion of my ancestors* so if I can call anywhere Home its here. That and because everyone at the club is a legend and they try to play the game the "right way" that is - on the floor.  No 1980s Wimbledon tactics here :)

Hope you enjoy the site. 
nb: its a bit under construction at the mo.

*Potted ancestral History: 

  • Mary Bower = earliest mention born Staveley 1830

  • Great Great Uncles - Stephen Doughty and David James played for the all conquering Staveley side from the 1880s beating "Wednesday" and Nottingham Forrest in the FA Cup. Doughty even has his own Wikipedia page!

  • Great Granny Ivy James and her brothers and sister ran James Chips shop in the town - still fondly remembered.

  • Great Grandad Peter Barley played for Chesterfield FC.